Day case procedures
The Lister Hospital offers patients a number of procedures that will allow you to get back home on the same day. You’ll still be treated in one of our private rooms but won’t have to worry about staying overnight in the hospital.
Our nurses will help you feel as comfortable as possible, let you know about any follow-up appointments and help you to arrange how you’ll get home, if you need assistance.
Your consultant will discuss your treatment options and confirm whether you can come to The Lister Hospital as a day case patient or whether you’ll need to stay as an inpatient
Preparation for day case patients
Your consultant will confirm how you should prepare for your day case stay. You may need to have an anaesthetic, and might also need to stop eating in advance. If you’re insured, you’ll need to contact your insurance company to confirm your admission and gain authorisation before arriving at The Lister Hospital.
What to bring with you?
- Comfortable clothes to wear after your treatment or surgery
- Wide – legged, loose-fitting trousers to wear after a knee operation
- A button-through shirt if your operation might affect your arm or chest
- Wide-fitting shoes if you’re having vein, foot or ankle surgery – if your operation does not include application of a walking cast
- Personal toiletries
- A list of all the medicines you’re currently taking and any creams or inhalers that you use
- Books, magazines, an iPod or laptop – anything to help you relax!
During your stay
You may be visited by your consultant, depending on your operation and condition post-surgery. Your consultant will determine your plan of care and discharge criteria; our nurses will assist you during your stay and, if you are concerned about anything during your stay, you should speak to them. You’ll be advised on how to treat any wounds or stitches, and a follow-up appointment will be arranged before you’re discharged.